[ale] iMac

JK jknapka at kneuro.net
Wed Jul 12 17:32:34 EDT 2006

Christopher Fowler wrote:

> On Wed, 2006-07-12 at 15:17 -0600, JK wrote:
>
>>Why not just boot OSX into single-user mode and
>>use scp from there?
>

> That would work.  I'm not very versed in OSX.  One thing I would prefer
> to do is a dd copy because this iMac did not come with 10.1 installation
> media.  I need to dd the 20GB HDD so I can do fun things like install
> Linux.

Ah, that makes sense.

OSX is pretty much just FreeBSD once you get past the Aqua
UI. Applications->Utilities->Terminal will look very familiar
to you. I've yet to find a shell utility missing that I'm used
to having on Linux. I was even able to smbmount my Samba
server from my wife's Mac Mini, right out of the box.

-- JK