[ale] [OT] Mac hardware maintenance

J o n K e t t e n h o f e n jonkettenhofen at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 6 21:03:40 EDT 2006

  The emac is a special Mac and to tear it down, a manual
is a must.  Too many screws of different sizes and totally unique guts which
vary somewhat among the different versions of emacs.  Get a maintenance
manual or a collection that is current from a reliable vendor on ebay.  Should
be less than $20.  I'm speaking from experience, having disassembled one
to replace a power supply board.  I really like the design, though.
Very elegant
all-in-one.

But before you tear it down, try two things:
1. remove and replace the memory stick(s). (Don't add memory until
you are sure the emac is repairable.)
2. Either re-install the OS or upgrade to OS X (Tiger).
The objective here is to clean up the OS.  OS X is very stable and has a much
better (journaling) file system.

BTW, i if there was a lightning strike nearby, the emac could be not
worth fixing.