[ale] Putting wifi in the house

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Tue Jan 31 12:16:01 EST 2006

On Tue, 2006-01-31 at 12:02 -0500, Greg Freemyer wrote:

> Your neighbor browses child porn sites.  FBI tracks usage back to your
> house and arrests you.  Somehow the paper finds out and the world is
> notified that you have been arrested for child porn.  Hopefully your
> lawyer gets you off since you didn't do anything illegal, but it is
> pretty hard to restore your good name after the fact.

FYI: FBI has a crappy rep in my mind for handling child porn. When I was
at Emory, one of the system I ran was cracked through a vulnerable login
process (grad student using telnet from a mac - no ssh client - bad
scenario). Scum bag started using the system as a child porn relay site.
While I was at the console trying to find out what had caused the system
to be non-responsive for the grad student, the scum bag app went online
and grabbed images from a remote location and started sending them to a
list of subscribers. I pulled the power plug when I saw the pictures.

I called the FBI with this info and told them I had the system in
quarantine, powered off, and wanted to give them the hard drive for
evidence to go nail the bastard. I had email addresses of subscribers,
remote servers and passwords, everything.

The FBI told me they were "too busy to concern themselves with this
unless there were financial damages above $10,000".

So if a neighbor is surfing for kiddie porn on your wireless network,
the FBI won't do squat unless there is some serious $$ involved.

http://www.localnetsolutions.com

<jkinney at localnetsolutions.com>