[ale] Java Code Signing Certificates?

Greg Freemyer greg.freemyer at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 09:34:10 EST 2006

On 1/31/06, Christopher Fowler <cfowler at outpostsentinel.com> wrote:
> This is a good question.  I'll be following this thread.
> We have an applet on our Tomcat server that many of our customers as
> asked us if that applet could gain access to the Windows clipboard.  The
> only way I could see this being done is by a certificate.  When I've
> pushed the numbers on them they decided that copy and paste was not
> worth that much dinero.
>
> I'm cc'ing ajug since they will have come insight on certs.

Just so you know we have a Java application (ie. a true application,
not applet or servlet) that uses the clipboard to integrate with a
program it manages.  I don't remember how we got that to work from a
security perspective, but since in our case it runs on a single
machine (a small desktop we treat as a server) I assume we simply
edited the java.policy file to let us have the access we need.

FYI: If your wondering why we would have a dedicated Java app that
only runs on a single computer: It is a Java RMI server for a subset
of our users that work out of a call-center like operation.

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer
The Norcross Group