[ale] Putting wifi in the house

Mike Harrison meuon at geeklabs.com
Mon Jan 30 22:06:27 EST 2006

> What I would like to have happen is for our laptops to be able to "WiFi
> up" at home as easily as at Joe Blow's Hotspot and Cafe.  However, I
> also don't want to be trivially eavesdropped on or leeched off of (over
> the weekend, the newer laptop was finding two nearby WAPs from the

Not compatible goals.

Choices:

A.  Run hidden SSID's and WPA and be reasonable secure from non-directed
    attacks/interlopers.. but any guests in your house/network will have
    to be configured.

B.  Run wide open "coffee shop" style, but treat/configure all your machines and
    network as if they are on a hostile wide open network/internet,

C.  Run two AP/Firewalls, one for you configured as 'A' and one plugged
    into your network, configured as 'B' (possibly even on a DMZ port/config
    if your primary Firewall/AP has one) which is a great use for that
    older 10mbps only AP/Firewall.

D.  Both C -and- treat your inside network as hostile.

  Run Etherape on a promisc wireless interface and watch people surf you...
  Run a public AP on a honeypot network/host and watch people surf you...
  Run NTOP (www.ntop.org) and watch people surf you..
  All of the above and more...

Extra Option:

  Watch your neighbor, a BellSouth.net DSL/M$-guru surf "your network"
  scarf the porn movies files off the shared drive on a laptop setup
  for this purpose. Then watch him go ape-shit as he sees that those
  files labeled: XXXgreatporn1.mpg  XXXfantasticsexshots69.mpg are just
  movies of you giving him the finger, laughing.. and saying "caught you!".

  Works when I take that laptop to Coffee shops as well..