[ale] Xfer of Linux Boot HD to New System

Robert Story rstory-l at revelstone.com
Mon Jan 30 17:12:49 EST 2006

On Sat, 28 Jan 2006 01:26:57 +0000 aaron wrote:
A> For future reference, I'm wondering if there was a way we could have simply
A> adjusted the the installed boot loader config so that it would find the
A> INIT on whatever IDE bus / master-slave combination we used to connect the
A> boot drive.  The boot loader in this instance is GRUB.

While you could have convinced grub to boot from the new location, it's likely
that you would have run into problems when it tried to mount partitions other
than /. Using LABEL instead of raw partitions might help there, but some
things don't usually have labels (eg swap).

But if it was convinced to boot and couldn't find a partition, you'd just need
the root pw to get a single user shell, then you could fix up /etc/fstab
(and grub config while you were there) and reboot.