[ale] file sharing Linux to XP

Brian Whigham oobx at itmonger.com
Mon Jan 30 15:50:23 EST 2006

If you want to share files on the XP box
make sure your XP share is available to the network, not just local
users (probably best to forget about any wizard Winbloze offers).
Create a user on the winders box that you'll use to connect from the Lin
box.  But, it sounds like you want to store files on the SUSE box.

If you want to share files on the SUSE box (which sounds like what you
wanna do)
use the samba user commands to create a samba user (smbpasswd?) (or I
think you can set it up to sync with your linux system users).  Make
sure you set appropriate permissions and preferences in
/etc/samba/smb.conf.  I usually use 700 as a filemask and set up to
share the home directories.  To make things easy, create a  username
that you're already using to login to the XP box.

Read the manuals.

bw