[ale] rsync --delete and initating backups questions

Charles Brian Quinn me at seebq.com
Mon Jan 30 00:19:57 EST 2006

Responding to my own post, sorry!

Well, here's one part of my question answered:

Google and I found http://www.mikerubel.org/computers/rsync_snapshots/
which states:

----------
Using the --delete flag

If a file was originally in both source/ and destination/ (from an
earlier rsync, for example), and you delete it from source/, you
probably want it to be deleted from destination/ on the next rsync.
However, the default behavior is to leave the copy at destination/ in
place. Assuming you want rsync to delete any file from destination/ that
is not in source/, you'll need to use the --delete flag:

rsync -a --delete source/ destination/

--
Charles Brian Quinn
www.seebq.com