[ale] Hopefully last LCD question

cfowler at outpostsentinel.com cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Fri Jan 27 12:01:53 EST 2006

On Fri, Jan 27, 2006 at 10:29:24AM -0500, Geoffrey wrote:
> Is your code not written in such a way that a window of that size can
> not view a concise segment of code?

My code is written in a way that 24 lines would work but I
prefer to see as much text as possible.  Even the whole program if
I can.  Its just the way I work and process that information.  The more
stuff I can see the better I can be.  That is why I like that huge LCD at Fry's
made by apple.  It seems to support a very high resolution so I could
see many of our programs in just one xterm.  But it is $2400.  Much
more than my current budget would allow.  And would require a redisign
of the office with a new desk just to compliment such a beautiful
piece of hardware.

One point is the two windows.  Many times I do have one window
open to code and one window looking at syslog or other log files.
On my PC I routinely have up to 20 xterms running.  This is because I'm
old school and prefer command line.  I'll open up an Xterm to simply move files
between directories instead of using and file browser that gnome might
offer.  I was not born on windows so for me the GUI in Linux simply
gives me a nice mail program (Evolution), A browser (FireFox) and many
ttys with shells (Xterm).