[ale] compressed file system?

Greg Freemyer greg.freemyer at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 15:46:13 EST 2006

On 1/26/06, John Wells <jb at sourceillustrated.com> wrote:
> Guys,
>
> Is anyone aware of a stable read/write compressed file system
> implementation for Linux?
>
> Thanks as always!
>
> John

No, and I looked for one pretty hard about 3 years ago.

At that point, all the Linux compressed filesystems I could find were read-only.

If you find one that has come out in the last couple of years, please
let me know.

FYI: The 2.6 kernel has had a userspace filesystem interface (fuse??)
in the mainline kernel.  If you find a solution I suspect it will be a
user space filesystem implementation that uses fuse as its kernel
component.  SuSE 10 has fuse as part of its distro kernel.  Unrelated
but there is supposidely a fairly stable read/write NTFS userspace
driver that uses fuse.

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer