[ale] Still can't get wireless to work.

Jim ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com
Wed Jan 25 09:35:14 EST 2006

Geoffrey wrote:

>Jim wrote:
>

>>Geoffrey wrote:
>>

>>>Quick short suggestion to try.  Since you set it up manually in YaST,
>>>set it up to 'start at boot' rather then 'manually.'  See my explanation
>>>below regarding this.
>>>

>>Except it is lying.  Here is what the ifcfg-wlan0 file has in it.
>>
>>grep -i startmode *wlan0*
>>STARTMODE='auto'
>>

>Same here.
>
><snip>
>

>>>You will likely need to configure it manually.
>>>

>>Well, the driver module for Linux is ndiswrapper as I understand the way
>>it works.  The actual drive is a Windows driver which Yast won't be able
>>to install I don't think.
>>
>>Anyway, yast did install ndiswrapper:
>>
>>rpm -qa | grep ndiswrapper
>>ndiswrapper-debuginfo-1.1-4
>>ndiswrapper-1.1-4
>>

>Hmm, then you should be able to configure it from Yast.

>>>This is telling you it sees the driver, but the Suse configuration files
>>>don't exist.
>>>

>>When I did the manual install of the wlan0 device via yast ("network
>>card"/"add" etc.) it wrote an ifcfg-wlan0 file into /etc/sysconfig/network
>>
>>linux:/etc/sysconfig/network # pwd
>>/etc/sysconfig/network
>>linux:/etc/sysconfig/network # ls
>>.   config  ifcfg-eth-id-00:c0:9f:cc:df:15  ifcfg.template  if-down.d
>>if-up.d    scripts
>>..  dhcp    ifcfg-lo                        ifcfg-wlan0     ifroute-lo
>>providers  wireless
>>
>>That's what I grepped into above.

>>>Same as above.

>>>Change Startmode to 'start at boot' and restart networking.

>>>Because you want to set it to start at boot.  This is confusing.  When
>>>it's configured to start manually, it won't start with the network
>>>restart.  If you tell it to start at boot, the network script will
>>>restart it.
>>>

>>By the way, "start at boot" is deprecated to "auto" if I read the docs
>>correctly.
>>

>Sorry, confusion there.  I was referring to the actual wording in the
>Yast menu, I believe the option is 'at boot time' or something to that
>effect.
>
>Anyway, here is how I used to get my prism card running manually.  It's
>obviously not the same card, but it will give you an idea of the
>commands necessary to get the thing up:
>
>ifconfig eth1 192.168.100.200 netmask 255.255.255.0 up
>iwconfig eth1 essid here2there
>iwconfig eth1 mode Managed
>iwconfig eth1 ap 00:04:E2:80:FB:1E
>
>Also, check out iwpriv man page.
>
>Try getting it going strictly from the command line.

Well, iwconfig reported all that info was already set, so it got it from
somewhere.  I guess what I am really trying to do is get it to use
dhcp.  This is fine, while I'm at home, but as soon as I try to use a
wireless access point somewhere I'm probably stuck 'cause I can't get
dhcp to give me an address.

Setting the ip address with ifconfig wlan0 192.168.2.52 ... worked
fine.  It is now communicating.  I guess it's that dhcp won't work with
this card.

Thanks,
Jim.