[ale] Still can't get wireless to work.

Jim ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com
Tue Jan 24 16:51:51 EST 2006

So I tried it again.

I installed ndiswrapper and loaded the driver, and ndiswrapper reports:

Installed ndis drivers:
bcmwl5  driver present, hardware present

ndiswrapper -m
Loads the module.

iwconfig displays:
wlan0     IEEE 802.11g  ESSID:"linksys"
         Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.437 GHz  Access Point: 00:0F:66:2A:BB:7E
         Bit Rate:54 Mb/s   Tx-Power:25 dBm
         RTS thr:2347 B   Fragment thr:2346 B
         Encryption key:off
         Power Management:off
         Link Quality:100/100  Signal level:-41 dBm  Noise level:-256 dBm

When I go into yast and select "network card" it does not detect the
wireless card.  I've tried a number of options to set it up manually but
nothing worked.
If I do a /etc/init.d/network restart

I get:
Shutting down network interfaces:
   eth0      device: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev 10)
   eth0      configuration: eth-id-00:c0:9f:cc:df:15                done
   wlan0     device: Broadcom Corporation: Unknown device 4318 (rev 02)
   wlan0     No configuration found for wlan0
             Nevertheless the interface will be shut down.
   wlan0     configuration:                                         done
Shutting down service network  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  . done.
Hint: you may set mandatory devices in /etc/sysconfig/network/config
Setting up network interfaces:
   lo
   lo        IP address: 127.0.0.1/8                                done
   eth0      device: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev 10)
   eth0      configuration: eth-id-00:c0:9f:cc:df:15
   eth0      (DHCP) . IP/Netmask: 192.168.2.111 / 255.255.255.0     done
   wlan0     device: Broadcom Corporation: Unknown device 4318 (rev 02)
   wlan0     No configuration found for wlan0                       unused
Setting up service network  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  . done.

So I went into yast and configured it maually, using wlan0, static-0 and
module name of Ndiswrapper.

ifup wlan0
   wlan0     device: Broadcom Corporation: Unknown device 4318 (rev 02)
   wlan0     Startmode is 'manual'
linux:/etc/sysconfig/network # cat ifcfg-wlan0
BOOTPROTO='dhcp'
MTU=''
NAME='Ethernet Network Card'
REMOTE_IPADDR=''
STARTMODE='auto'
USERCONTROL='yes'
WIRELESS_AP=''
WIRELESS_AUTH_MODE='open'
WIRELESS_BITRATE='auto'
WIRELESS_CHANNEL=''
WIRELESS_DEFAULT_KEY='0'
WIRELESS_ESSID=''
WIRELESS_FREQUENCY=''
WIRELESS_KEY=''
WIRELESS_KEY_0=''
WIRELESS_KEY_1=''
WIRELESS_KEY_2=''
WIRELESS_KEY_3=''
WIRELESS_KEY_LENGTH='128'
WIRELESS_MODE='Managed'
WIRELESS_NICK=''
WIRELESS_NWID=''
WIRELESS_POWER='yes'
WIRELESS_WPA_PSK=''
_nm_name='static-0'

And now I get this when I restart the network:

   wlan0     device: Broadcom Corporation: Unknown device 4318 (rev 02)
   wlan0     Startmode is 'manual'                                  skipped
Setting up service network  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  . done.

dhcpcd tells me:
dhcpcd wlan0
/sbin/modify_resolvconf: line 245: /etc/init.d/lwresd: No such file or
directory

linux:/etc/sysconfig/network #     wlan0     device: Broadcom
Corporation: Unknown device 4318 (rev 02)
   wlan0     Startmode is 'manual'

lspci shows that wlan0 is talking to the right card...
0000:05:02.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation: Unknown device
4318 (rev 02)

I then changed the _nm_name to look like the one in eth0, substituting
the numbers from the lspci line, but that didn't work either.  It all
boils down to the startmode is "manual" message.  I don't seem to be
able to figure out how to "start" it manually.

I searched for the "startmode is manual" in google and didn't get
anything I could use.

This is my third attempt.  Can anyone shed any light on this problem?

Thanks,
Jim.