[ale] Averatec

Pat Regan thehead at patshead.com
Tue Jan 24 16:23:16 EST 2006

Geoffrey wrote:
> Personal experience with two different Dell laptops, they were a piece
> of crap.  I just wouldn't have another.  I hear a lot of issues with
> their servers as well.

You'll be likely to find laptops from every manufacturer that are of
poor quality.  I used to love my old P2 450 Compaq Armada some odd
number of years ago.  It was a tank and every piece of hardware worked
under Linux.  I haven't been in the presence of a modern Compaq laptop
that I would want to own, however.

My girlfriend purchased a used 700mhz Toshiba Tecra late last year.  It
was in the right price range, and I had one at work a number of year
ago.  I knew all the hardware would work and I knew it was a rather
sturdy machine (she already managed to drop it from her desk without any
damage, I didn't expect the $500 Best Buy Specials to manage as well
:p).  I have seen some nice enough looking modern Toshibas.

What models of Dell were you unhappy with?  Like most manufacturers they
seem to have lines of laptops aimed and home and business users.
Usually the more expensive business class models (of any manufacturer)
are significantly nicer.

I am typing this email on a 3+ year old Fujitsu P2120 sub notebook (3.4
pounds with both batteries).  This is the first, and only, Fujitsu
machine I have ever used.  If they build all their machines like this
one I would highly recommend them, this is by far the nicest laptop I
have ever owned.

Pat