[ale] IBM R50e modem

Charles Shapiro hooterpincher at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 10:14:12 EST 2006

Late Saturday night, I was able to get the internal modem of my IBM R50e to
connect to compuserve and to SpeedFactory with minicom on Kubuntu jus' fine
with the Linuxant hsfmodem driver (
http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/hsf/index.php ).  Alas, this is un-free
software and I hadda pay $20 to get it to go beyond 14.4 kbps.
I found no Open alternative right now. In Linuxant's defense, the driver did
Just Work. The other connection devices (radio networking, cable networking,
USB ports) all Just Worked right out of the box on Breezy Badger kernel 2.6.
Sure beat wrassling it for days!

I'm writing this note because the only web posts I was able to dig up were
about people having Modem Troubles on their R50es.. As of right now
everything on it is working fine on linux except the 'recovery partition',
which boots from grub but then blue-screens. I'm thinking about trashing
this part to recover the disk space.

If anyone has already written scripts to nstall the hsfmodem drivers
optionally, I'd love to see 'em. That's what I'll probably do next. No point
in running a Tainted kernel unless I actually have to.

-- CHS