[ale] IMAP and sub folders

Atlanta Linux Enthusiasts ALE at MaestroIT.com
Sun Jan 22 23:23:48 EST 2006

Both mbox and Maildir formats, as well as the Dovecot mail server, all
support sub-folders.  The only limitation with mbox is that a "mailbox"
is actually a single file on the server filesystem, so it cannot contain
anything below it.  However, you can easily set up a directory instead,
and this directory can contain as many sub-folders, mailboxes, etc. as
you want.

In other words, with mbox, you must choose whether a folder is a
directory (container) or just a plain mailbox file.  With Maildir, each
mailbox is actually a directory containing one file per message, so it
can allow sub-folders of mailboxes.  But note that some clients, such as
Mutt, still do not allow you to create sub-folders of mailboxes even
with Maildir, since they confuse the directory browser.

Using mbox, you can accomplish your "OT" goal by either creating two
separate mailboxes, i.e. ALE and ALE-OT, or you can create an ALE
directory and have two sub-folders, i.e. Linux and OT.

For more information, see:

http://wiki.dovecot.org/MailboxFormats

http://wiki.mutt.org/?MuttFaq/Maildir

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mbox