[ale] motherboard RAID versus software RAID

Christopher Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Fri Jan 20 19:13:45 EST 2006

I have many servers using Software RAID installed.  These server do it
via SATA and the controller is on the motherboard.

I've seen thse two problems.

1.  Sometimes a drive will be dropped from the raid.  Not sure why but
    sometimes it happens

2.  I've had one case where the ext3 filesystem on a RAID1 device
    became corrupted and unreadable.  The software raid simply copied
    this corruption across 2 drives.  I never figured out why and was
    never to explain to the customer why I had to totally reinstall FC2
    even though he had RAID1 with 2 good drives.   Maybe something
    went stupid in the RAID1 driver that wrote bad data that screwed
    everything.

So.  I now have these server mail me a report every night telling me the
status of the raid.  That is the only way I've been able to monitor it.

mdadm -D /dev/md0 | mail ......