[ale] OT: Video Motion Sensor

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Wed Jan 18 10:35:20 EST 2006

Jeff Hubbs wrote:
> Geoffrey wrote:
>

>>Makes you realize how advanced the human brain
>>and eye coordination really is.
>>

> Especially when you consider how few different parts are involved and
> how they can be manufactured in high quantities by unskilled labor. :)

Amen on the unskilled labor...  Although, if the design is good enough,
anyone can build it.  Great engineering folks...

>>A single camera is only going to deal
>>with, for the most part, 2 dimensions.  It's a lot easier to detect a
>>vehicle traveling perpendicular to your direction, but consider one
>>coming straight at you.  They change in the image is substantially less
>>apparent.  Add another camera at a fair distance away from the other,
>>and you've got better data to make the decisions, but very complicated
>>calculations.
>>
> One possible approach would be to detect left-right-symmetrical objects
> (nearly all road vehicles would have this symmetry), establish bounding
> rectangles around them, and then secondarily look for rectangles that
> are growing.  The rate of the growth is and the overall movement of the
> rectangle could be used to form a prediction cone in space and time.  I
> don't know if you'd be able to compensate for the difference between a
> Toyota Echo and a '61 Caddy, but maybe you could; sounds like a real
> teeth-grinder.

You know, this reminds me of a presentation I saw at a USENIX conference
a good while back.  I can't recall the guys name, but he was in the
process of building a complete artificial interface to the world.
Basically, it was set up so that he didn't see anything except through
his computerized system.  For example, he had it programmed to block out
  various types of advertisement.  It was absolutely awsome.  Do a
search on wearable computers.

--
Until later, Geoffrey