[ale] OT: Video Motion Sensor

Jim Popovitch jimpop at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 17 17:52:26 EST 2006

So, I'm driving around during lunchtime today and just as I am
approaching an intersection to make a right turn (I had the quite green
light), out of nowhere a car flies through the intersection and nearly
hits me on the drivers side.  My attention was focused on the right-hand
turn I was making, so I did not see the car approaching (at a high rate
of speed) from my left.  I had just looked to the left seconds before
and did not see any vehicle approaching my area of the intersection.
Fortunately he missed me and thankfully he and I both made it through
the intersection safe.

This episode got me to thinking about using cheap video cameras to
detect large "items" approaching at considerable speed.  Obviously there
would have to be a way to determine my speed and direction, as well as
the speed and direction of the inbound vehicle and then some calculation
to determine/measure a potential threat.  Does anyone know of
software/projects/devices that do this sort of thing?

-Jim P.