[ale] Iptables: Temporarily mounting a windows share

Alan Dobkin ALE at MaestroIT.com
Mon Jan 16 15:54:17 EST 2006

On 1/16/2006 1:33 PM, Jeff Hubbs wrote:
> My cleanest option for offloading backup tarballs from an
> Internet-reachable server involves dropping the tarballs onto a nearby
> Windows server that's already part of the backup rotation.  My iptables
> rules preclude this at the moment.
>
> Instead of modifying my iptables script to allow me to "mount -t
> cifs..." from the server at any time, I'd prefer to have the backup
> script make the minimum necessary iptables rules changes temporarily,
> mount the windows share, write the tarballs to the mount point, unmount
> the windows share, and change the iptables rules back like they were.
> How might I invoke this in my backup script?
>
> Jeff

How about approaching this problem from a different angle?  Do you have
administrative access to the Windows server?  Do you have any other
network access to it besides SMB/CIFS?  For example, maybe you could FTP
the files to it or run an SSH server on it (such as Cygwin OpenSSHd) and
use SCP/SFTP.  It seems like that would be a cleaner solution than
rewriting your firewall rules every time.

Alan