[ale] Naked DSL from Bellsouth?

David A. De Graaf dad at datix.2y.net
Mon Jan 16 10:54:15 EST 2006

On Mon, Jan 16, 2006 at 08:50:40AM -0500, Brian Whigham wrote:
> Steve,
> Your premise that we've reverted back to the old days is entirely
> wrong.  We never left the old days.  Bellsouth has been trying to dance
> around the idea for years.  Of course they won't sell you DSL without a
> landline.  They have little financial reason to do so.

I, for one, am doing my best to educate them with my dollars.
I pleaded that they sell me a naked DSL line here in Hendersonville,
NC, but of course they refused.  So, given the choice between selling
that or nothing, they get nothing.
The substantial capital costs they incurred for the wire to my house and
the remote DSLAM in our neighborhood are not being repaid by me.

I switched to cable and have been reasonably happy.  The combination of
cable TV, cable internet, and Lingo VOIP telephony offers several
advantages over wired telephone, separate long distance, DSL and
DirecTV, besides the substantially cheaper monthly bill.

Downloads are much faster, my dynamic IP never changes, I can tune several
TVs independently, I can call anywhere in US, CA, and Europe for free,
incoming calls ring simultaneously on my cellphone, etc.

The one disadvantage is the relative unreliability.  After 9 months of
perfect service, our Mediacom cable service has failed 4 times in the
past 2 months.  The unusually severe weather is to blame and I hope
things will improve.  But a cellphone is a necessity.  I can live with
that.

--
	David A. De Graaf    DATIX, Inc.    Hendersonville, NC
	dad at datix.2y.net     www.datix.us