[ale] BarCamp Atlanta?

Michael Mealling mmealling at masten-space.com
Sun Jan 15 18:09:37 EST 2006

Bar Camp was setup in response to the invitation only Foo Camp run by
O'Rielly last year:

http://wiki.oreillynet.com/foo-camp/index.cgi

Specifically Foo Camp was:

We've invited about 400 people who're doing interesting work in fields
such as wireless, web services, open source programming, GPS, and all
manner of emerging technologies to share their work-in-progess, show off
the latest tech toys and hardware hacks, and tackle challenging problems
together. We'll have some planned activities, but much of the agenda
will be determined by you. We'll provide space, electricity, a wireless
network, and a wiki. You bring your ideas, enthusiasms, and projects. We
all get to know each other better, and hopefully come up with some cool
ideas about how to change the world.

But it was outside and everyone camped out, hence the name Foo Camp as
opposed to Foo Convention. Anyway, those that weren't invited or
couldn't go decided to setup remote copies of Foo Camp called Bar Camp.
The only difference as that Bar Camp was open to anyone with the
exception that if you came you had to demo something you were working
on. So its more than just a bunch of geeks drinking beer somewhere.
Hopefully interesting ideas and opportunities come out of it.

You could also think of it as an old fashioned "lock in" for geeks but
without the church or the chaperone but with Wifi and sometimes beer...

And yes, that probably makes it the most geeky thing you'll ever do...

-MM

--
Michael Mealling                  Masten Space Systems, Inc.
VP Business Development                       473 Sapena Ct.