[ale] OT: DVI KVM Switches

Pat Regan thehead at patshead.com
Mon Jan 9 00:10:24 EST 2006

aaron wrote:
> In fact, if anyone reading this can suggest any salient reasons to prefer
> a DVI digital monitor connection, I'd be interested in hearing (: or seeing :)
> them.

My favorite reason to use DVI over analog is the fact that I don't have
to worry about adjusting the sync settings on an LCD panel.  You also
don't have to worry about buying a video card with a high quality
RAMDAC.  A cheap RAMDAC makes for a blurry picture, especially at high
resolutions.

I am assuming he wants to use a DVI KVM on a workstation.  Many analog
KVMs noticably degrade the signal, especially with longer cable runs (or
cheap cable).  With DVI you should never have that problem.

I run two 15 inch LCD panels on my home desktop.  In the beginning, I
had to use an extension to reach from the far monitor to the PC.  You
could easily tell which one had the extension plugged in.

That said, I doubt it makes much difference at low resolutions, as long
as you set up the sync settings on the LCD properly.  My old panels
don't auto tune all that well, and usually require a bit of tweaking.

Pat