[ale] Can't get unsupported card working

fostermail at bellsouth.net fostermail at bellsouth.net
Fri Jan 6 13:48:51 EST 2006

I'm trying to get my within-budget airlink awl3025 (acx111) to work in my Thinkpad 770x (~Ti 1250a pcmcia.) In /etc/sysconfig/network/config, I entered it into "mandatory devices" by name wlan0-bus-pci-0000:02:08.0.

I don't understand why running "rcnetwork restart" doesn't reference wlan0.

I have in ~sysconfig/hardware under  file hwcfg-wlan-bus-pci-0000:02:08.0 the module ndiswrapper referenced, and in modules.conf.local I put alias wlan0 ndiswrapper.

I've put "tnet1130.inf" in ndiswrapper via W2K and XP folders and it doesn't make any difference.

This isn't focusing on any question; I mention the TI chipset (which number I may have wrong,) which uses a "yenta" module, leading me to think sequence of module invocation might matter.

I remember with insmod, (which I don't use anymore because I can be dumber using modprobe, e.g. not know any params, (though this might be pci's credit,)) I had to specify what I wanted the loaded driver to be called, in this case wlan0 ,(not sit0 of which I'm ignorant.)

I've checked this over in YaST2, which I bypassed because it doesn't allow spec'g ndiswrapper if the interface is PCMCIA. and all the other stuff is right. (A modus which works with a desktop using the same acx111 chip, (which I resigned myself to after being unable to connect to the wire dsl modem))

The only significant debug info I've yet enabled is lsmod indicating the ndiswrapper module (it does install, and get inserted in the kernel,) is used by or uses some usb-related module. maybe comment out something in the *.inf.

Enough ruminating sell the thinkpad and buy wireless card from supported manufacturer/chip.

Thank you for growisofs and udf advice and in advance if you have anything for this.

G. Foster