[ale] OT New thread -new iMacs- Joe's question

tfreeman at intel.digichem.net tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Tue Feb 28 23:38:00 EST 2006

On Tue, 28 Feb 2006, Joe Knapka wrote:

> William Fragakis wrote:
>
> >one never buys extra ram from Apple if possible. After-market ram is
> >substantially cheaper. Sometimes in a refurb, you get a silent upgrade
> >of more ram, etc. Many refurbs are display models or ones used at
> >expos, etc, not necessarily something that crashed, burned and is being
> >pushed out the door again.
> >
> >I've seen some cheap G4 refurbs in the last few months if you don't
> >mind running a superdrive (dvd-burner) from firewire. When you start
> >adding airport, superdrive, etc, they start to get pricier.
> >

> Luckily, my wife won't care about the superdrive, and iBooks have
> AirPort as a standard
> feature.  Point taken about the RAM, though.  How hard are Apple
> products to work on,
> compared to PCs?

I've personally found it to be variable, although I have very limited
experience. Changing some ram on an early iMac was different, but not
hard. I just wasn't recognizing what I was seeing. Swapping a hard drive
in that unit however, was challenging with some tight fits and some pieces
in the way of what I was trying to do. Not really _hard_, but challenging.
Working on the ram and air port of a laptop, however, was dirt simple.

YMMV of course.

If you think Education is expensive
Try Ignorance
                   Author Unknown