[ale] small distro for old hardware + kids

William Fragakis william at fragakis.com
Tue Feb 28 23:43:52 EST 2006

what is pokier than a laptop drive? maybe a laptop cd-rom? ;-)

If you go the Live CD route, take a look at Puppy Linux as it's meant
to fit into 128  mb. I haven't been able to get it to work on my
elderly laptop project but it might be worth a look.

I'm running Ubuntu on a PII 233/96 mb ram Toshiba. It's poky but
useable. I'd think it would run fine on a K6-500 and more ram. It has a
bunch of kid games (do the full install and do GCompris, too - good for
the younger kiddies). It's an easy distro to install. Not a lot of
options at install but it might be what you are looking for.

If you decide to go Knoppix, there's a Kids' Knoppix CD available that
is more likely to contain what you want (except for Flash). It's a
couple of years old, now, but still kid-oriented.

regards,
William