[ale] Playing DVDs on FC1

Joe Knapka jknapka at kneuro.net
Tue Feb 28 13:17:07 EST 2006

Hi everyone,

Anyone here still running Fedora Core 1?  My friend needs a DVD player
that will actually play DVDs on FC1. We've tried MPlayer (builds cleanly,
crashes when run with a segv and a message that "this should never happen"),
and Ogle (builds cleanly, exits cleanly if you actually try to play a DVD,
saying something like "<blah blah blah> READ_TITLE() failed"). I haven't
had time to investigate very far, but neither Google nor the respective
FAQs for the products in question has been helpful.

Has anyone seen either of those products working under FC1?

I suppose I could try upgrading my friend's machine to a more recent
distro, but I've gotten the impression that Fedora upgrades are rarely
smooth. Is that impression accurate?  I've done a number of
configuration changes to his machine, and also a couple of
"configure/make/make install" dances to put stuff in /usr/local,
and it would seriously suck for those things not to work properly
after an upgrade.

Any advice would be appreciated,

-- JK