[ale] Ga tech

Barlow, Jim D jim.d.barlow at intel.com
Fri Feb 24 16:49:08 EST 2006

-----Original Message-----
From: ale-bounces at ale.org [mailto:ale-bounces at ale.org] On Behalf Of
To: ale at ale.org
Stephen Touset
Sent: Friday, February 24, 2006 3:05 PM
To: Atlanta Linux Enthusiasts
Subject: Re: [ale] Ga tech

>> > and mainly hype. I didn't think GA Tech would change their whole CS

>> > curriculum over it. What do you guys think?
>> The current switch in curriculum is 100% the child of the new Dean of

>> computing, Richard DeMillo. If that name doesn't sound familiar to
you
>> then let me refresh your memory. He was the CIO for HP during some of

>> its less spectacular years.  He is hated by the faculty and is almost

>> personally responsible for destroying the community feeling in the
>> college of computing.
>
>> And if you think I am being harsh, feel free to ask any graduate
student
>> or faculty member over there how they feel about him "off the
record". I
>> guarantee you'll get the same statements.
>
>> I gave up on GA Tech's undergraduate CS program when he became dean.
and
>> that is a hard thing for me as I was  a "lifer" over there.  I'm very

>> close to saying that the graduate program is beyond redemption as
well.

>This is quite depressing, actually, seeing as I'm slated to start going
>to Tech for grad school next semester. I'd looked forward to going to
GA
>Tech, due to its reputation as one of the best schools in the country
>for Computer Science. But now, hearing of Greenlea's termination and
>this new Dean, I'm really starting to worry.

I've had an extensive chat with some of the people in involved with the
new GA Tech programs.   There is a lot of exciting new stuff going on, a
lot of it with national labs, and corporate research sponsors on the
most interesting new aspects of computing.

I came away wanting to bribe my kids into getting better high school
grades so they could go there.    I would sure give them a positive
look.

- Jim, speaking for only myself.