[ale] Ga Tech changes emphasis of Computer Science

Richard Kolkovich sarumont at sigil.org
Tue Feb 21 12:14:07 EST 2006

On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 20:58:43 -0500
Jim Popovitch <jimpop at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Geoffrey wrote:
> >
> > I don't know which is worse.  A geek who doesn't understand
> > business, or a manager who's clueless about technology.
>
> A worse situation is a combo of both.  Too many "technology" managers
> are former geeks who didn't understand business and now, that they
> are neck-deep in trying to understand management, don't have time nor
> retained skills to understand cutting-edge technology.
>
> I thank <insert favorite head of your religion> everyday that I've
> yet to navigate my career path into management.  I'm also thankful
> that my present manager is a former geek who does understand
> business, as well as his engineers and the technology in which we all
> work.  Bad management typically promotes bad management.  Thankfully
> my manager's manager is a genius. :-)
>
> -Jim P.

I agree.  I hope to keep myself out of management as I start my career,
as it is not what I want to do.

I agree totally with some points further up this thread, as well.
Programmers CAN be good at anything they attempt, especially when it
involves technology.  The basic skills of programming and mindset of a
coder can be applied to much affect to any other project.

--

Richard Kolkovich
sarumont at sigil.org