[ale] Ga tech

mmillard1 at comcast.net mmillard1 at comcast.net
Tue Feb 21 09:20:11 EST 2006

With so much competition from On-line Universities and One Stop Specialty education shops it is now a case that traditional universities are being forced to produce and compete at a new level. It has long been my opinion that most universities in the US at least were failing to produce people with the real skills they needed to do more than very basic tech jobs. Their failure to keep up made places like ITT possible. There are clear exceptions like the MITs of the world. I am a little surprised because I thought GA was one of the more impressive schools. It doesn't change the fact that Degrees in our field are becoming less important and experience / certifications are proving more valuable. The market is saturated with academic achievers who do not have the real skills they need to do the jobs they are seeking are holding. I will not be surprised if this is the beginning of a national shift. Universities that are not nonprofit may finally be figuring out that the quality of their product rather than the purity of their academic soul is going to make them money. Employers want more than many schools are producing. It's hard to pick out the degreed people who have the drive to learn the additional skills they need on their own. In my environment we give far more credit to experience and Certs than Degrees from anywhere except elite schools ( Which are people we usually can not afford lol ) that define new technologies. I thought GA was one of these but apparently they were not happy with where they were.  From my perspective I am thrilled to see they want to change how they educate.  I just hope it doesn't become an experiment in hype rather than quality education.

From: Braino420 <braino420 at gmail.com>
To: ale at ale.org
Hrm, I always thought the whole outsourcing thing was way overblown and mainly hype. I didn't think GA Tech would change their whole CS curriculum over it. What do you guys think?
-Steve Brown