[ale] OT: lost source code..

William Fragakis william at fragakis.com
Mon Feb 20 09:40:58 EST 2006

If it's true, they aren't very quick learners. This article was
published on the web in '03

"Mystery: Meridian 59, the version from Near Death Studios, was almost
quietly killed before it even began. Can you tell us what happened?

Brian: Sure. One thing to keep in mind is that 3DO viewed online games
as a whole as a failure. Trip has said many times that the market isn't
ready for online games. Meridian 59 didn't live up to expectations, so
they said that online games overall were a failure.

When 3DO closed down Meridian 59 in August of 2000, they had very few
people on staff that knew much about the game. I had left a few months
earlier, and I was one of the last people to work on the technical side
of things. So, after they shut it down they went about repurposing the
machines that used to be the game servers; it was rather humorous,
because the machines were so underpowered compared to more modern
machines.

However, one of the Guardians (the in-game name for customer service
representatives) took the main development server and put it in his
cube. He did it for mostly selfish reasons; he wanted to look at the
game more and see how it worked. But, when Rob and I were purchasing
Meridian 59 from 3DO late 2001, the machine proved to be the last
remaining location for the source code of the game. I don't doubt that
the machine would have been scrubbed if it had been collected as
normal, thus ending the commercial life of Meridian 59."

http://ims.warcry.com/scripts/news/view_news.phtml?site=15&id=10581

wf