[ale] Low-Cost Color Laser for Linux

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at comcast.net
Thu Feb 16 20:26:46 EST 2006

I'm thinking that you may be painting yourself into a corner with both
the "low-cost" and the "color laser."  The only way for a manufacturer
to get both, I'd imagine, would be to go the "winprinter" route.

That being said, Postscript can be your buddy.  To quote linuxprinting.org:

"Note that most low-end color lasers have proprietary protocols, which
are not (Epson AcuLaser 900/1000, works with proprietary Epson driver
PIPS <http://www.avasys.jp/english/linux_e/index.html>) or not perfectly
(Minolta/QMS magicolor 2200DL) working with free software. But there is
also one model for which the manufacturer supplies an excellent free
driver, the Minolta/QMS magicolor 2430DL. The driver works also as well
on the 2300DL and can be downloaded from Minolta/QMS' FTP site
<ftp://ftp.minolta-qms.com/pub/crc/out_going/other/magicolor2430DL-1.1.0.tar.gz>.

"Other manufacturers offer PostScript also in the cheap range, as for
example HP with the Color LaserJet 2550L.

"Workgroup and high-end color laser printers usually understand
PostScript and so they can easily be set up with the
manufacturer-supplied PPD file."

FWIW, I just picked up a floor-model Brother *duplexing* mono laser at
Office Max for $170.