[ale] OpenBSD in embedded systems

Pat Regan thehead at patshead.com
Thu Feb 16 00:58:12 EST 2006

Christopher Fowler wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-02-15 at 22:26 -0500, Pat Regan wrote:
>> If dynamic linking really turns out to be a problem with the new GPL,
>> you can bet glibc will be forked.
>
> I think there is a clause in GPL2 that allows static linking and others
> to the glibc for the reason that it is required.  This will allow people
> like ??? to create static binaries that will run on many distros and be
> closed.  But other libraries like libxml may be different.
>
> That may change in V3.

Glibc is under the LGPL, not the GPL.  My mistake.  It makes little
difference, though.

Glibc is currently released under LGPL 2.1 or at your option a later
LGPL.  As far as I know there is no talk of creating a new LGPL.  Even
if there were, the current version is licensed under the current version
of the license.  They cannot retroactively change the license out from
underneath you.

Pat