[ale] strange VPN behaviour

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Wed Feb 15 23:07:31 EST 2006

I've got a VPN joining two SOHO nets. Both gateways are Linux with
openswan and native kernel klips.

>From LAN A I can "see" Lan B (ping, vnc, no M$ browsing, though) but

from Lan B I can't see Lan A. No ping, nothing. (No jokes about
blackholes, one way worm holes, etc. I HAVE to use M$ on the LANs. It's
not MY choice :)

The routes are generated on both tunnel ends although both ends do a
strange "add an extra default route" and a route I don't recognize
(IPv6?) 128.0.0.0 -> default  ??

So I do the tcpdump test (Ping from LAN B to a LAN A system) and I can
see the ESP packets hitting LAN A external NIC but the decoded packets
never hit the inside interface.

When I reverse all of this (ping from A to B and watch lan B) I see what
I should see, ESP on the outside, decrypted on the inside, replies from
the inside followed by encrypted leaving on the outside.

Arrgghhhhhhh!

http://www.localnetsolutions.com

<jkinney at localnetsolutions.com>