[ale] OpenBSD in embedded systems

Warren Myers volcimaster at gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 19:52:18 EST 2006

Just a thought, but didn't Linus say that wouldn't use GPL3 on Linux?

WMM

On 2/15/06, Christopher Fowler <cfowler at outpostsentinel.com> wrote:

> Aler's,
>
> I'm in the process of creating another embedded device.  This time I'm
> thinking about going with OpenBSD instead of Linux.  Is there anyone
> here with knowledge of BSD in an embedded scope?
>
> My main motivation is with GPLv3.  I know that I can start a flame war
> but since this is a new project I have the ability to make some
> decisions from the start.  I have 2 issues with GPLv3
>
> 1) Derivative work
> 2) DRM
>
> #1 is not fully defined.  The main issue is with dynamic linking.  RMS
> would like all programs that dynamically link with GPL libraries to be
> open.  IMO this is viral.
>
> #2 is DRM.  DRM is a broad definition.  In our device we use a technique
> of matching a serial number stored on flash with numbers in the
> hardware.  This prevents anyone from copying the software off the unit
> and running on standard PC hardware.  This could be considered DRM and
> GPLv3 could make it wrong.
>
> So I'm looking at my options and wondering if Linux is really the
> solution.  I'm lucky in that I do have a good amount of resources on the
> target hardware and it is PC based so I know OpenBSD will run.  I just
> need it to be able to have some features that Linux does that will allow
> me to do some of the things I need to do.  Like initrd, ramdisks, etc...
>
> Anyway maybe its time to get off the "Sub $250 PCs" thread and talk
> about something else.  Flame away.

http://warrenmyers.com
"God may not play dice with the universe, but something strange is going on
with the prime numbers." --Paul Erd?s
"It's not possible. We are the type of people who have everything in our
favor going against us." --Ben Jarhvi, Short Circuit 2