[ale] Sub $250 PCs

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Wed Feb 15 12:02:05 EST 2006

Emil Man wrote:

> I actually had the opportunity once to provide them quite a bit of business.
> A company was interested in buying 10 desktops, and I was in charge of doing
> the purchase. So I shopped arround Atlanta to give the locals some business.
> In the end, Ginstar sent me a fax with their list of pre-built machines, and
> that was pretty much the extent effort they put into it.
> I finally had to go with Dell because the company where I worked required XP
> on their machines and I could not find a better price at the local shops
> with XP installed.
> Disapointing because I did try to provide the locals business but in the
> end, I had to go to stupid Dell.

Yeah, the problem for the small local shops is they don't get the price
cut on windows that Dell does, so they have to cover their cost on that
end.  If you go with no OS, they can be quite competitive.
Particularily when the big guys won't give it to you without the M$ tax.

--
Until later, Geoffrey

Go live and stabilize!