[ale] Sendmail permissions issue

Andrew Sledge asledge at gpc.edu
Tue Feb 14 07:29:20 EST 2006

Hello all:

I am having trouble with a Perl script that uses Sendmail to send out
notifications.  The trouble is not with the script itself, but with
Sendmail:  I am getting permissions errors.  When trying to send an
email message even from the command line (e.g.: echo "hello" |
/usr/bin/sendmail -oi -t, etc) I get the following error:

[10:42:14][sledge at server:~/scripts/perl]$ echo "hello" |
/usr/bin/sendmail -oi -t
WARNING: RunAsUser for MSP ignored, check group ids (egid=100, want=25)
can not chdir(/var/spool/clientmqueue/): Permission denied
Program mode requires special privileges, e.g., root or TrustedUser.
Broken pipe

This only happens when logged in as a non-root user.  This started
happening all of a sudden - it worked for three months without a
problem.  I have not changed any of the permissions anywhere with any of
the sendmail directories.

I have double checked /etc/passwd and /etc/group - smmsp is user id 25
and belongs to smmsp group (group id 25 as well).  smmsp has 770
permissions to /var/spool/clientmqueue, and sendmail is set to run as
user smmsp (I even tried changing the submit.cf option RunAsUser=smmsp
to RunAsUser=25, the user id, but it did nothing).

Sendmail starts automatically with
/usr/sbin/sendmail -L sm-mta -bd -q25h
-and-
/usr/sbin/sendmail -L sm-msp-queue -Ac -q25m

I want to be able to send mail as any user.  I have set pretty much
everything according to http://www.sendmail.org/secure-install.html .
Please let me know what I am doing wrong.

Thanks in advance.