[ale] Kernel panic

Emil Man emilpman at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 16:39:39 EST 2006

Chris,

I have seen Kernel Panic happen for several reasons in my systems. I once
had a kernel panic because /etc/fstab got messed up and my hard drives went
all out of whack. Grub was looking in /dev/hdb for the kernel image which
was in /dev/hda. I dont know why because all I did was put in a new drive
for a few minutes to test something, the restored everything again as
normal, and poooooffff....

2006/2/13, Christopher Fowler <cfowler at outpostsentinel.com>:

> My thoughts exactly on controller.  This system has 2 drives that are
> raid1 via mdtools so I was not seeing disk death.  It was appearing as
> if the whole disk system was disappearing.  The last time this happened
> was in December and it caused ext2 corruption that propagated across the

 I would definatelly run fsck on your disks, to see if the filesystem is in
any way corrupt, or if you have bad blocks, etc. Obviously if you are using
a different filesystem, run the appropriate tool. I think fsck is for ext2.
I know I have reiser on most of my boxen and I run reiserfsck or something
along those lines. I use toms for such cases since you obviously cannot fsck
a mounted disk.

mirror.  The only fix was a full reinstall.  Since I had no access
> to /var/log/messages because of the corruption I had no clue what had
> happened.  Now the box simply went south and after reboot I was able to
> see the syslog file and pull that oops from the file.  I then saw many
> other programs reporting messages to the syslog that they could no
> longer open files.  That is how I knew the system was still up.

Emil