[ale] file sharing Linux to XP

Marvin the Martian marvin.higginbottom at gmail.com
Tue Feb 7 16:56:22 EST 2006

Paul Cartwright wrote:

>On Mon January 30 2006 3:34 pm, Brian Whigham wrote:
>

>>without using sneakernet, I'd recommend SAMBA for Linux.  It will
>>allow you to use existing windows protocols.  Windows doesn't play
>>well (for free) with anybody else's toys (i.e. NFS).  SAMBA is easy
>>to get going. Your SUSE box is probably practically ready to hook up
>>to Windows already.
>>

>I just tried NFS, no luck. I still show a folder in network places, on
>the XP box that says home2 on Samba....blah... (PaulsPC) where PaulsPC
>is the SUSE box. now all I need is a samba.conf to make it SHARE.

You've *got* to create a user/pass pair with smbuser and smbpsswd.
Otherwise, you can look at the folder all day and never be able to open it.

When winders trys to connect, it'll ask for that pair when everything is
set-up right.   Then you can have it save the nfo and automagically
mount the remote disk every log-in- if that's what you want.   It should
also take care of any dialogs windows might want to give you about
running a program remotely.

KDE and Gnome have great tools to set-up a SAMBA server/network.  Very
easy to use.  I'd reccomend them.  :-)