[ale] Slackware 10.2 Makes me cry

Tejus Parikh tejus at vijedi.net
Sun Feb 5 12:17:32 EST 2006

Sounds a little like when I was trying to put my music server together.
One of the first times I did a slackware upgrade, I mounted the cdrom
and ran 'find /mnt/cdrom -iname "*.tgz" -exec upgradepkg {} \;'  That
didn't work out so well.

Then I found this document:
http://slackware.osuosl.org/slackware-10.1/UPGRADE.TXT

I haven't had a major problem upgrading slackware since.
Dropline-gnome, now that's another matter entirely.

Ahhh, the 2.6 kernel, the Via Chipset, and an additional soundcard.
This is a problem near and dear to my heart.  What happens when you
enable the snd-1371 driver?  Which kernel version and are you doing the
alsa version?   If you want the onboard to work you will need the
snd-via82xx driver as well.  If you have optical out on that card and
you want it to work you will probably need kernel 2.6.14.4 or newer.  I
was never able to get it to work on some of the older 2.6 kernel.  You
can use aplay -L to find out which is which.  There is a way to control
which device alsa puts where, but I don't remember what it is.

When you say video doesn't work "ideally," what do you mean?  It's
probably just a configuration problem with X.  Most likely, you are
using the default "vesa" driver instead of "ati".

--Tejus