[ale] NAS

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Sat Feb 4 18:45:36 EST 2006

Christopher Fowler wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-02-04 at 10:58 -0500, Geoffrey wrote:
>
>>Why not just stick an external drive on there.  Costco has a
>>firewire/usb 2.0 300G drive for around $250.
>

> This would be nice but I'm a little scared of USB disk on my desktop.
> I've been doing linux for many years and I've had nothing but problems
> with USB storage.  Up until FC3 it seemed like running  my USB in 2.0
> mode was causing issues.  I could try it again since I do have
> enclosures I bought off eBay.  Even on my iPod 40gb occasionaly I have
> to run the Linux verison of fsck.vfat because somehow corruption pops
> up.

One thing to be sure of is to run fsck every now and then.  If you
don't, you could well have problems.  I've never had any problems with
usb disks.  I've got two right now 200G and 300G sitting on my main box.

You might try firewire then, if you don't have warm and fuzzies about usb.

> I also just spent $319 on a new LCD this month.  Got the Daewoo 19" from
> Micro Center.  It has RGB and S-Video inputs.  That was the deal closer.
> My wife will not allow another big purchase for at least 6 months :)  As
> a note to all you single fellows, buy whatever you want now before the
> money gets locked down :)

--
Until later, Geoffrey