[ale] NAS

Christopher Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Sat Feb 4 11:07:46 EST 2006

On Sat, 2006-02-04 at 10:58 -0500, Geoffrey wrote:
> Why not just stick an external drive on there.  Costco has a
> firewire/usb 2.0 300G drive for around $250.

This would be nice but I'm a little scared of USB disk on my desktop.
I've been doing linux for many years and I've had nothing but problems
with USB storage.  Up until FC3 it seemed like running  my USB in 2.0
mode was causing issues.  I could try it again since I do have
enclosures I bought off eBay.  Even on my iPod 40gb occasionaly I have
to run the Linux verison of fsck.vfat because somehow corruption pops
up.

I also just spent $319 on a new LCD this month.  Got the Daewoo 19" from
Micro Center.  It has RGB and S-Video inputs.  That was the deal closer.
My wife will not allow another big purchase for at least 6 months :)  As
a note to all you single fellows, buy whatever you want now before the
money gets locked down :)

CF