[ale] g-mail blocks tar.gz attachments, but not .zip...

aaron aaron at pd.org
Fri Feb 3 21:23:14 EST 2006

I have found g-mail accounts to be a handy service for sharing, xferring and
storing files in a web accessable space. The only caveat I've encountered is
that google disallows certain file types as attachments on both incoming or
outgoing g-mail.

I fully understand why they would want to protect the Micro$hafted maroons of
the world from their own ignorance by blocking ".exe" attachments.  What I
don't understand why they also choose to block ".tar.gz"  files, and yet
allow ".zip" attachments without question.

Googl's reply to my query of this policy (exchange below) did nothing but
re-state the obvious by notifying me that they block ".exe" and ".tar.gz"
attachments.  (Yes. I already know that. My question was WHY do you block
".tar.gz"?)

I've found workarounds and can easily attach any file to my g-mails, but
I'm wondering if anyone here can enlighten me with a good reason for googl's
".tar.gz" policy.  I thought tar and gz were passive archiving formats.

peace
aaron