[ale] grub with Linux and Solaris??

Chris Ricker kaboom at oobleck.net
Thu Feb 2 12:56:25 EST 2006

On Tue, 31 Jan 2006, Geoffrey wrote:

> Thanks for the much needed info.  Next question:
>
> If I install Solaris first, then Suse, Linux fdisk complains that the
> partitions don't end on cylinder boundaries.
>
> If I install Suse first, Solaris won't leave the existing partitions as
> is, it wants to change them just a slight bit, causing the same problem.

In my case, I think what I did was booted a Linux rescue cd and created
two partitions (1 type bf for Solaris, 1 type 83 for Linux). Then I
installed Solaris into the bf one, using its format to slice it but not
its fdisk to partition. Then I installed Linux into the 83 one

But in my case I get the same geometry in Linux and Solaris... Run fdisk
on each and see. Solaris fdisk counts from 0, and Linux fdisk counts from
1, so they should be off by 1

Worst case, just skip a cylinder between the 1st one you install and the
second....

later,
chris