[ale] computer controlled power switches

Christopher Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Fri Dec 29 09:48:27 EST 2006

On Thu, 2006-12-28 at 16:47 -0500, Matt Kubilus wrote:
> It depends on the type of relay you get.  A normally-open (NO) relay
> will leave the output connection open unless it recieves and input
> signal.  A normally-closed (NC) relay would leave the connection
> closed unless it has a signal.

I think you're still screwed.

With a NC and the computer off the printer or device will turn on
With a NO and the computer off the printer or device will turn off

It really depends on the application of the idea but in his case he
wants to control a modem and if it is anything like my network I want
that modem controlled independently of my desktop.  With this idea you
don't get that luxury.  You really need something more intelligent that
can remember state.