[ale] computer controlled power switches

Matt Kubilus mattkubilus at gmail.com
Thu Dec 28 16:47:26 EST 2006

It depends on the type of relay you get.  A normally-open (NO) relay
will leave the output connection open unless it recieves and input
signal.  A normally-closed (NC) relay would leave the connection
closed unless it has a signal.

-MJK

On 12/28/06, Christopher Fowler <cfowler at outpostsentinel.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-12-28 at 16:30 -0500, Matt Kubilus wrote:
> > oooh let me suggest the cheapskate solution.  Buy a DC/AC relay from
> > radio shack.  Connect the DC side to the parport on you PC, The other
> > side to AC.  Just like installing a light switch.
> >
> > Relay should have ~3vdc in, 110vAC out.  Should cost less than $10.
>
> Great idea.  What happens if the relay is unplugged for the parallel
> port or PC is off.  Will that turn off power to the modem?

Don't be a pioneeer.  A pioneer is the guy with the arrow through his
chest.  -- John J. Rakos