[ale] udev problem

Stephen Cristol stephen at bee.net
Tue Dec 26 16:02:35 EST 2006

On Dec 26, 2006, at 8:23 AM, Jeff Lightner wrote:
> However I wonder if it isn't simply a difference in the umask of your
> root/install user.  Login to each box and type umask to see what it's
> set to.

Jeff,

Thanks for the suggestion! Both machines have a umask of 0022 for
root. Your suggestion pointed me to finding my error. I was checking
to see that the files had the same SELinux context (ls -Z) as this
has been an issue in other things. In doing so, I finally noticed
that the machine with the device permissions of 666 also had an older
udev rule (presumably from an earlier version). That rule was:

     KERNEL="fuse", NAME="%k", MODE="0666"

and named "40-fuse.rules" so it sorted ahead of the newer rule. When
I copied this onto the machine with the newer installation, things
worked as I expected. :)

Thanks again,