[ale] encrypted usb drive

Jeremy T. Bouse jeremy.bouse at undergrid.net
Tue Dec 19 21:43:21 EST 2006

Jim Popovitch wrote:
> What's the best way to encrypt a usb drive used for file backups?
>
> -Jim P.

    Well I only need to be able to read my USB drives under Linux so I
used to use an old cryptoloop system which I later moved to using
loop-aes. Now my recent bane has been to get the new
gnome-volume-manager and gnome-mount to work with LUKS encrypted
partitions. If you're unfamilar with LUKS I would recommend checking it
out as opposed to both predecessors you can actually have multiple keys,
delete keys and change passwords. I've been having some issues getting
it working but my intention is to use it for encrypting my removable
media which includes USB pen drives from 16M-2GB and SmartMedia chips of
8M-32M.

    I use encrypted removable drives to store my primary and sub-key GPG
keyrings as well as my SSH identity keys. With the new LUKS system it's
becoming much easier to accomplish and is more mainstream with the
kernel and OS itself.