[ale] Thinking of html rendering

Greg Freemyer greg.freemyer at gmail.com
Tue Dec 19 18:49:28 EST 2006

All,

The other thread about HTML rendering reminded me that I need a CLI
level mechanism to print (and/or convert to tiff) html files.

ie. This will be invoked via the "system()" call and I can't have any
interactive requirements.

I do care a lot about the quality of the rendering and sad as it is,
the closer to IE like it is the better.  ie. We do these conversions
for our clients and most of them want to know what a page would look
like from IE.

This is going to be integrated into a Windows platform, so I would
need something that I can run under cygwin but that should not be a
problem since I can always recompile the source.

FYI: We're currently trying to use the standard microsoft HTML
rendering engine but on a small (but real) percentage of the html
files it has a multi-minute delay to render/print a single page.  So
when we hit these files our rendering rate drops from 10s of thousands
per hour to hundreds per hour.

Thanks
Greg

Thanks