[ale] encrypted usb drive

Greg Freemyer greg.freemyer at gmail.com
Tue Dec 19 18:27:02 EST 2006

On 12/19/06, Jim Popovitch <jimpop at yahoo.com> wrote:
> What's the best way to encrypt a usb drive used for file backups?
>
> -Jim P.
Jim,

I bought a drive enclosure with hardware encryption a few years ago.
I tested it but there were problems at the time with speed (IIRC).  I
suspect the technology is more robust now.

You might want to look into one of them.

FYI: IIRC the way the one I had worked was that the key (ie. a
USB-like dongle) had to be plugged in during power up, but then you
could remove the key/dongle and put it in a safe place.  The enclosure
maintained a copy of the encryption key internally until the next time
power was cycled.

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer