[ale] lost+found

Alex LeDonne aledonne.listmail at gmail.com
Sat Dec 16 17:59:31 EST 2006

On 12/15/06, Jim Popovitch <jimpop at yahoo.com> wrote:
> What happens if I delete lost+found on an ext3 partition?  Is it really
> necessary to have?
>
> Why?  It's a stable partition, rarely changing.  This partition is
> exposed via ftp and http, and as such some browsers and other tools try
> to "crawl" a level deeper for caching reasons.  The lost+found directory
> is owned solely by root, so ftpd and apache users don't have access...
> but my logs fill up with errors about their denied attempts.
>
> -Jim P.

I don't know if this could be applied in your situation, but this is
why I have a rule of thumb to not expose the root of a partition over
the network, if I can help it. Any reason you can't create a directory
to expose as the ftp/http root instead (other than the fact that it
seems like you shouldn't have to)?

-A